Re: Oracle & MS SQL server - Similarities and differences

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 16:04:16 GMT

zrb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am more interested in the similarities & differences with respect
> to transactions from a Distributed Transactions perspective. Any
> hints.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> zrb
>
> zrajbun_at_hotmail.com (zrb) wrote in message news:<2312ee51.0209020448.62f6da46_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been using MS SQL 2000 server for quite some time. Now I am
> > working on porting the application to Oracle 8i. I am looking for the
> > similarities and differences between the two. Like the following.
> >
> > MS SQL 2000 and Oracle both have the concept of instances.
> >
> > In SQL 2000 a database specifies a logical as well as physical unit
> > of storage, transactions etc. And the best equivalent from Oracle
> > seems to be a "schema + tablespace". But am I right about the
> > transaction context part of my statement.
> >
> > In SQL 2000 tables, views, indexes, procedures etc exist within a
> > database whereas in Oracle they exist within a schema.
> >
> > Is there a place where I can migrate from SQL 2000 and Oracle with
> > respect to the concepts. :-)
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > zrb

Purchase Tom Kyte's book "Expert One-On-One Oracle" and be sure to read at least the first three chapters: Preferably the entire book.

The critical differences are (to use the buzz words): multiversioning (only available in Oracle) transaction processing
concurrency
locking
reads don't block writes
writes don't block reads

The differences are profound and there is no substitute for learning them.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Sep 03 2002 - 11:04:16 CDT