Re: Garbage collection not happening?

From: Jason Simpson <jsimpson_at_haywire.csuhayward.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 15:52:03 -0700

On 3 Sep 2002 at 14:44, Jacy Grannis so generously added:

> as for the first example, the MyObjects are not the objects I expect
> to be garbage collected. It is the temporary objects created by the
> Oracle driver that should be being garbage collected. How do I know
> they should be being garbage collected? They are getting collected
> when I run the query as a standalone app. They are not getting
> garbage collected when I run the query under iPlanet (but still using
> the same VM, which means it is still using the same garbage collector
> implementation). The question is not "why am I not seeing
> deterministic garbage collection?" The question is, "What is iPlanet
> doing? Are they setting some variable in the VM or what that keeps
> the garbage collection from happening?"

A guess: iPlanet is caching references to the Oracle driver objects you expect to be garbage collected. This is why the standalone app works differently, since your code run standalone does not maintain references to these objects.

--
Jason Simpson

"No, I'm not going to explain it. If you can't figure it out, you  didn't
want to know anyway... :-)"  -- Larry Wall