Re: Garbage collection not happening?

From: Jacy Grannis <jacygrannis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Sep 2002 14:36:50 -0700

hhuber_at_racon-linz.at (Heinz Huber) wrote in message news:<3d73014b.2391108_at_news.aon.at>...
> [snip]
>
> One question:
> Why are you putting the results in an ArrayList? If you can write each
> record to the file directly, you might be able to work around the
> problem.
>
> Regards,
> Heinz

B/c there's some in memory processing that has to take place on the records after they've been read out of the db and before they are written out. Also note that this is taking place on a webserver and writing out to a file would require the user to take another step to get their results (clicking on a link to download the file). We may actually end up having to do that anyway, but it would be nice if the user could submit the form and get the download without a second click. Finally, while writing out to file could work, there is no reason that having 6MB of data in memory should cause an OutOfMemoryError, particularly as the same process works fine if it is not running on iPlanet but as a standalone app. Received on Tue Sep 03 2002 - 16:36:50 CDT