Table design question

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 16:13:39 +0100

Hi Mike,

oops! - you got me there. I make it more than one. :o)

When you put it as you just did, it does make me look a bit silly - not to worry.

Mind you, I was working on the assumption - obviously wrong - that your problem was with people designing databases where all parts are in one table - whether they be a sub-assembly, an assembly or simply a single part. I didn't think youd want the parent-child links fromsub/assembleis to parts in there as well.

I'd find it very difficult to do that AND have the parent links for any part included in a sub/assembly relate back to the proper sub/assembly - what if, say, a part was used in more than one sub/assembly - say a machine screw.

I think I'll get more sleep, and read through things better in future :o)

Regards,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator