Re: Oracle & MS SQL server - Similarities and differences

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:08:59 +0400

Your best bet would be Oracle Concepts manual followed by some good reading from Oracle experts (Thomas Kyte's book is among highly recommended as it has very good insights on key differences between Oracle and other databases). Actually difference (or similarity) between MSSQL's 'database' and Oracle's 'schema' concepts is negligible compared to the differences in transaction mechanisms, concurrency controls and locking mechanisms in Oracle and other databases. Oracle is very different in the way it works, and to successfully develop for it you should understand the difference. Signup to Oracle Technology Network at http://otn.oracle.com (it's free) and you'll get instant access to Oracle online documentation among other stuff.

Corrections and additions welcome.