Re: Get more practice tables

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 21:12:05 +0100

Kate wrote:

> Sorry, I forgot to specify the version in my previous posting. I am running
> Oracle8i, Release 3 on Win2K.
>
> Kate.
>
> "John Russell" <netnews4_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 12:43:56 -0400, "Kate" <xkate12_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi there,
> > >
> > >I wonder if I can create more practice tables by runing Oracle's scripts
> > >like scott.sql after an installation. Currently I have four tables like
 EMP,
> > >DEPT in Scott's schoma.
> > >Any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Not sure what release you're running. In 9i, there are a bunch of new
> > practice schemas like HR (similar to SCOTT but with extra tables,
> > foreign keys, etc.), OE (order entry), SH (sales history, for data
> > warehousing).
> >
> > There's a book in 9i explaining about these new schemas:
> >

> http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/release2/server.920
> /a96539/toc.htm
> >
> > John

Easy enough to create tables for your playing...(syntax below may be wrong, but you'll get the idea)

create table X as

select rownum,        -- gives you numeric sequential data
  mod(rownum,30),      -- numeric data that cycles after 30
  trunc(rownum/30),    -- numeric data that is clustered every 30 rows
  dbms_random.random   -- for random data,
  dbms_random.random_string  -- for random strings
from any_big_table     -- eg sys.source$
where rownum < p     -- where 'p' is the number of rows you want

 etc
etc

--
Connor McDonald