Re: how much memory is my oracle using?

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 21:10:50 +1000

Hi Eugene,

Based on this and other questions you've posted, I would *strongly* recommend spending a couple of evenings listening to the remastered Ziggy Stardust album, having a few cold beers close at hand and read the Oracle Concepts manual available via the documentation link at otn.oracle.com (free subscription). You are really going to struggle until you've got the basics in place. Don't worry, it's the same for all of us when we started.

In answer to this specific question, your shiny new database has a init.ora or parameter file which is used to start the Oracle instance and which details the size of your various memory structures. Basically Oracle will use the size specified for the SGA at instance startup plus the sum of all PGA areas allocated to connections to the database plus some.

But trust me, a bit (lot) of reading is required and we'll have you configuring databases and humming Moonage Daydream before we know it ;)

Cheers

Richard