Memory Sizing - Data Warehouse

From: george bagley <george_working_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Aug 2002 09:35:48 -0700

Hi

I need to estimate memory for our new database.

We expect to have about 120 million records, with about 50GB raw data and 40+GB indexes.

We run a lot of filters and cleaning tools over this data (all written in PL/SQL).

We generally add 1 to 1.5 million rows each day using sql-loader.

This data is then summarised and manipulted as a batch process over night.

We are running on Dell 6400's with 4 processors on Redhat Linux Advanced Server.

Also, if we get 4GB RAM, should I increase SGA to > 1.5GB, sort size to 100MB etc

There are only four users on the system at any one time running reports.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

George Received on Fri Aug 30 2002 - 11:35:48 CDT