Re: Redo Log help

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:14:48 +1000

Hi Rogbacker,

All things being equal, a log switch every 30 seconds is too frequent.

I use 30 ish switches a day under normal load as a rough guide (as it's my age although I look years younger). Many fewer (say 1,2,3 ...) *may* suggest your redo logs are too big and depending on your DB version and how you have configured checkpointing, *may* indicate excessive instance recovery times. Many more (say 100s, 1000s) *may* suggest your redo logs are too small and that you *may* have checkpointing issues, again depending on DB version, checkpointing configuration, etc.

So I would recommend increasing the size of your logs as a first step (say around 200M)

Also I have yet to hear a good reason why you should have different sized redo log groups (other than being in the middle of resizing them). I would suggest making them all uniform in size while you're at it.

Cheers

Richard