Re: Cost based optimiser (on 8.1.7.4)

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:45:56 +1000

Hi Neil,

Another point is that the CBO will not like (no pun intended honest) LIKE bind variable as this implies an unbounded select clause, which 'could' return many values (eg. LIKE '%'). The = is specific and based on the statistics can make an accurate estimate (assuming even distribution which all it can assume). For a unbounded condition, the optimizer assumes 'a large percentage of rows'.

Hence my friend your execution plan ...

Cheers

Richard