ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment by 7680 in tablespace

From: Maria <evoradba_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: 29 Aug 2002 16:39:02 -0700

Hi there
I have a oracle product server versiotn 8170 running on sun solori, also we have a fail over server with the same configuration. We have scripts that run on the database on a nightly basis and every so often we gat the following error messages:

ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment by 7680 in tablespace TEMP3 Tue Aug 27 01:06:46 2002
ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment by 7680 in tablespace TEMP3 Tue Aug 27 01:06:48 2002
ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment by 7680 in tablespace TEMP3 Tue Aug 27 01:13:24 2002
ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment by 7680 in tablespace TEMP3 Tue Aug 27 01:13:25 2002
ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment by 7680 in tablespace TEMP3 Tue Aug 27 01:13:26 2002
ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment by 7680 in tablespace TEMP3 Tue Aug 27 01:13:27 2002
Sometimes we don't get any error's at all, and they are the same scripts over and over
after did we recycle Oracle did we regain the space that was taken up on Sunday night? Doesn't Oracle deal with this automatically sometimes we run out of space on TEMP tablespace , we had to cancel a ctas (rom primary to secondary )  because it was delaying the nightly jobs. We killed the job while it was doing the update stats portion of the script but I have a feeling that it also corrupted the Oracle optimzer and cause the server environment
to take of all the free memory swap and cause hight I/O and low CPU.

Why after did we recycle Oracle did we regain the space that was taken
How do we setup monitoring jobs for free space thresholds

Any help would be great
Thanks
Lena Received on Thu Aug 29 2002 - 18:39:02 CDT