Re: TNS-12536:TNS:operation would block

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:37:57 +0200

Oliver Hladik wrote:

> TNS-12536:TNS:operation would block

An information message.

> TNS-12560:TNS:protocol adapter error

Dinkum error that refers to a problem at the Oracle Protocol Adapter level. Oracle uses protocol adapters as an layer between the actual protocol stack and SQL*Net/Net8. Thus, the same software can run against IPX, IP, LU6.2 and so on, by simply plugging the correct Oracle protocol adapter in.

Errors at this level usually indicate (in my experience) to a missing protocol adapter. People installing an IPX adapter on an IP machine for example.

> TNS-00506:Operation would block

An information message.

> 32-bit Windows Error: 997: Unknown error

The underlaying cause for the TNS protocol adapter error. Something happened at operating system level (likely in the IP stack) that resulted in the TNS error.

> I don't know why? Did you already have a problem like this,
> and how did you fix it?

My wild guess is that the SetSocketOption() call failed to put the IP stack into async mode for the Oracle process. With the stack in sync mode, all sockets calls are blocking calls.

But that's just wild guess.

Test each layer on its own.
- make sure that the IP stack on you Win2K machine is configured   correctly and test it (check the IP address, hostname, DNS,   WINS and other entries, check for dup IP's on the network, etc.) - make sure that SQL*Net/Net8 is installed, configured and working   (use tnsping and sqlplus to test)
- make sure that your Oracle Name Server is correctly configured   (turn on tracing and have a look at the log files)

--
Billy