Re: Build Indexes as Scheduled task?

From: Iain Dickens <iain.dickens_at_wgrant.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2002 02:42:55 -0700

Hi,

Does Informatica cause a bottle neck? Oh yes!!! We run on the same server as the Warehouse.....recommended by Informatica??
We have just upgraded to Dual processor server with 4 GB RAM and what a difference. The tuning manual indicates it uses 140% of processor power...in other words get a dual processor minimum. It is not all doom and gloom.

If you want a fast system from start need to structure Oracle properly Physically and Logically. Definitely follow a Optimum Flexible Architecture structure, this will make a big difference. Set REDO to a BIG size, we are at 4 groups of 200M each and they still switch in some cases within 90 seconds.

Structure Databases to suit purpose.
Extraction: is just ripping data from other sources to setup/tune to handle bulk inserts of data. Your slowest point tends to be your network here. Don't bother with any transformations here. Transfer: is where all your calculations take place so again tune Oracle to cope with this type of use.
Load: Is purely inserting into Warehouse to allow reporting, so again tune for reporting. You may want to remove and recreate indexes prior to and after load....certainly speeds up the load.

Then once this is all setup you need to write your transformations with performance in mind. Good GUI tool for Transformations

Good scheduling tool to run your mappings with the ability to tune buffers, fetch array etc..

It is a good tool and the majority of above should be done for any warehouse environment anyway so no big deal. Just a little hungry on the processor power, but hey we have reduced warehousing window from 4 hours to 1 hour.

Hope this helps

Iain Received on Thu Aug 29 2002 - 04:42:55 CDT