Re: Oracle 9i RAC

From: Patrick London <mpmers_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Aug 2002 17:21:17 -0700

Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:<akj47m0dod_at_drn.newsguy.com>...
> In article <pan.2002.08.28.11.07.28.301.14437_at_scutty.co.uk>, "Scutty" says...
> >
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >Just wondeign if anyone out there is using Oracle 9iRAC?
> >If you are what platform are you running and is it working ok?
> >
> >Only asking as we are mid-roll out on with a 9iRAC/Alpha tru-cluster
> >system and its been... interesting!
> >
> >Cheers
> >Andy
>

> TruCluster is my personal favorite for RAC (NOT an Oracle recommendation by the
> way!) because of the CFS. And after all, Digital/Compaq/HP/whoever the next
> buyer is have been in clustering forever.
>
> If your clusterware is set up correctly, it is REALLY simple to get this
> installed and working. At one client that had the cluster set up 100% correctly
> (this is really an OS issue, not an Oracle one), I installed RAC, built a
> database, migrated a portion of their Production system, tested TAF and
> load-balancing and did quite a bit of knowledge transfer in 4 days flat,
> including one day lost because of a glitch with a patch. Ttrue to all DBA
> norms, I was of course installing the patch without backing up the kernel due to
> time constraints - oops!

On Windows 2000, we are trying to understand that if you are running Windows 2000 Advanced Server and making Node 1 and Node 2 part of an OS cluster, where would Oracle's cluster file system be installed? My understanding is that Oracle's CFS simply alleviates the need for dealing with raw partitions, but does not replace cluster aware OS software. Is this correct? So if you have Node 1 and Node 2 both running Windows 2000 Advanced Server and they are the two nodes in the window cluster, where is Oracle CFS installed? Can it be on a third machine that is not one of the nodes, but serves as the crude shared storage? Any info would help. The pre-install and install docs don't seem to answer these issues and I can't find anyone who has more detail info.