Re: Yet Another Linux RAC Question

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 28 Aug 2002 10:36:39 -0700

In article <5869d2e6.0208280424.7aa586e9_at_posting.google.com>, wongyw_at_bii-sg.org says...

>Call me a cheapskate if you will, but I am trying to implement a
>2-node Linux RAC cluster. I read the Oracle pages on Linux RAC and I
>spoke with my friendly Oracle sales reps and they all seem to insist
>that I get one of those certified packages from HPaq or Dell - something I
>am hoping I don't have to do.
>
>As far as I am aware, Linux RAC requires no special hardware or software.
>I have also read the IBM Redbook on Linux RAC installation and did not find
>anything unusual as far as the OS is concerned. (Whether it's Redhat or SUSE
>makes little difference to me.)
>
>Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that all I need to do is to get 2
>OEM systems along with the necessary FC adapters, switches and storage and
>I am ready to go. Other than possibly a heartbeat monitor between the 2
>nodes, am I missing something?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Stephen Wong
>Systems Manager
>Bioinformatics Institute
>http://www.bii.a-star.edu.sg

As long as you can get the cluster working, you should be able to install and play with RAC. Whether it's a supported configuration or not is another issue, but for play purposes it should be fine.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed Aug 28 2002 - 12:36:39 CDT