utl_file_dir showing up empty

From: Kyle Pinches <klpinches_at_sep.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2002 13:59:59 -0700

I'm having an issue with using utl_file_dir... Even though I've added it to the init$SID.ora file and restarted the database, it appears to be getting set to a blank string (doing a "select * from v$parameter where name='utl_file_dir'" or using "show parameter utl_file_dir" returns a row, but there is nothing in the value). Also, the select shows that the ISDEFAULT value of the parameter is true.

Here's the line I'm using in init$SID.ora

utl_file_dir=/var/opts/testdir

I've tried moving the location to the beginning/middle/end of the file, adding a / to the end of the directory, and adding quotes around the path with no luck. I've also tried making a separate file with only this line in it and using IFILE to include that file... The init$SID.ora file I'm editing is definitely the one that's being read (if I make other changes to it, those changes take effect). I've also tried setting the utl_file_dir to '*', also with no luck.

Has anyone else come across a situation like this?

If it's useful, this is on Oracle9i Release 9.0.1.0.0 running on SuSe 7.2

Thanks in advance!
~Kyle Received on Tue Aug 27 2002 - 15:59:59 CDT