Re: Backup: 3 hours & Restore: 10 hours????

From: Klaus Naumann <knaumann_at_gmx-ag.de>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:01:29 +0200

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:43:39 +0200, Forte Agent wrote:

Hi,

> hours, even though backup took only about 3 hours. I was told the
> reason is the fact that RMAN is restoring datafiles out of order that
> they were backed up. Therefore, tape device has to travel back and
> forth looking for files in tapes, taking up times much longer than it
> took to back them up.

I'd rather expect the redo logs being the problem here. If you have a lot of traffic on the database, applying the redo logs can take a very long time. If you have a Multi CPU system or your storage is good, you can try to use parallel recovery.

        Bye, Klaus

--
Klaus Naumann
Database Administration