Re: Locklevel

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:50:29 +1000

Hi Dirk,

Depending on what you're doing, Oracle has different default levels of locking that they can be summarised into two groups:

Row Level Locks
Table Level Locks

In your select for update example, Oracle locks all selected rows exclusively and locks the table in what is known as a Row Share Table Lock (RS or SS). The table lock prevents certain other table locks from being held.

Oracle has no concept of a page or block level locks so row level locks can never escalate up to block levels locks.

The golden rule with Oracle default locking behaviour is that readers never block writers and writers never block readers.

My big recommendation would be for you to read the Data Concurrency and Consistency section of the Concepts manual where all is explained.

Cheers

Richard