Re: Oracle Names and Firewall

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:04:33 +0200

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:45:02 GMT, Mik <me_at_you.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:18:49 +0200, Sybrand Bakker
><postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>

>>The manual would have given you the answer NO
>>Also you are compromising security if you put the names server before
>>the firewall.
>>
>>Regards
>>

>OK.
>Suppose that i put names server behind firewall my question is:
>
>with this configuration i must activate a connection manager on Db
>
>client --> firewall --> Names --> Db
>

>how a generic client can find right route using the information passed
>by names server ?
>
>i can open port 1575 and 1610 (default) to communicate trough firewall
>to names but Names server don't give information about a connection
>manager to a remote client.
>
>Thanks sybrand
>
>Mike

use_shared_sockets in sqlnet.ora (Unix) or the registry (Mickeysoft, at least 8.1.7.1.5 required) would make connection manager unnecessary. (As would using MTS)
The Names server needs to return *exactly* the same string as provided in tnsnames.ora. Names server now can convert tnsnames.ora. If that doesn't work, you can always add the address manually (but that is going to be a real pain)
You don't need to specify info about connection manager, you need to provide the port, and (source_route=YES) as far as I am aware.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Aug 27 2002 - 04:04:33 CDT