Re: cache vs keep buffer pool

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 26 Aug 2002 21:34:39 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<3d6a8c7c_at_dnews.tpgi.com.au>...

> The cache keyword is useless. Utterly, utterly useless.

And, I believe, now "deprecated"?

> Which means that nasty full scans on big tables cannot possibly flush your
> blocks from small, useful tables -provided you direct each sort of table to
> different pools.

Yup. In fact for large, seldom scanned tables I actually prefer to put them in RECYCLE. That way the scan will happen without shirting up KEEP or DEFAULT.

> If you are on 8.0 or above, there is practically no sense in setting
> 'CACHE'. The keep pool does it better, more reliably, and more effectively.

Unless you are in the buggy point release of 8.0 that needs the CACHE thing to be specified to send stuff to KEEP. DAMHIKT...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au Received on Mon Aug 26 2002 - 23:34:39 CDT