Re: Oracle multi-master replicaiton: index generation necessary?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:36:04 +1000

In article <IMoa9.15474$g9.49128_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, you said (and I quote):
> Just a little snippet from the Oracle documentation:
>
> When replicating tables with foreign key referential constraints, Oracle
> Corporation recommends that you always index foreign key columns and
> replicate these indexes, unless no updates and deletes are allowed in the
> parent table. *Indexes are not replicated automatically*.

Hmm, interesting. I don't have that in my replication book. Which version?

I think they mean cascaded. Not replicated.

> So your comment that indexes are not replicated is not strictly speaking
> correct.

I'm not sure myself. The darn thing changes from point version to point version!

> Also note that it's not good practice as such to have PK on replicated
> tables. You *must* have a PK if a table is to be replicated, else you get an
> error trying to add the table to a replicated group.

Hang on, that doesn't make sense at all. I must have a PK if it is to be replicated but it's not good practice to have PK on replicated table? What am I missing here?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto