Re: Limiting CPU usage for a user

From: Ethan Post <nospam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 04:00:17 GMT

Here is one for you...how do you limit CPU use between Oracle instances running on the same host?

My best stab at this would be to create a resource group in each database that is allowed N% of the cpu. Have a script outside the databases monitoring server load, if load X is exceeded then connect to database and check for offending sessions and throw them into the resource group specified. When things return to normal and Y time has passed remove them from the group.

This assumes you can dynamically assign someone to a group during an active session. Don't know much about Resource Manager so not sure this would actually work. Few weeks back we talked about this on Oracle-L or lazydba and didn't get much in the way of answers. One thing that was clear was that using "nice" is not an acceptable solution which Cary Milsap verified. What's your take.