Re: Why are people so afraid of underscore parameters ?

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2002 11:10:38 -0700

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:<c6f99.12411$g9.40345_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
> However, the are some situations when the modification of these parameters
> is beneficial and in fact recommend. There was a thread here not too long
> ago on the positive impact of changing the _spin_count parameter. Usually

Why not take _trace_files_public as an example? That may be technically the most harmless underscore parameter. Some time ago, somebody here says there's no degree of unsupported-ness. But the truth is, if you set _trace_files_public to true, I can almost guarantee your database is still supported. But at the other extreme, if you set _corrupted_rollback_segments or _disable_logging to true without Oracle's approval, it's quite likely you will lose support.

I also find that whether you stil get support depends on how much you know about Oracle database, and about the undocumented parameter you're using when you talk to the Support people.

Yong Huang Received on Fri Aug 23 2002 - 13:10:38 CDT