Oracle using indexes on RAW PK columns

From: Allen <allenh_at_starbase.neosoft.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2002 13:39:03 -0500

Oracle 9.2 linux standard edition, optimizer_mode=first_rows, full schema analysis done every night.

For some reason (before I was hired) the developers started using RAW(24) columns as primary keys. These PKs are indexed of course. But explain plays says its doing full table scans. However when I add the hint /*+ index(tname,pk_indx) */ it starts using the index. Is there anyway to get oracle to use this index without using hints, or should I tell the developers its time to switch to something more appropriate like integer PKs..

thx.. Allen Received on Fri Aug 23 2002 - 13:39:03 CDT