Re: oracle 8.1.7 install/ can't insert disk 2

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2002 08:22:24 -0700

"Joe" <joe.lamp_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:<k4l99.2827$fl6.258491_at_news1.west.cox.net>...
> I am trying to install oracle 8.1.7 on Sun Solaris 8 box. When the installer
> asks to insert disk 2, I cannot eject disk1. I receive a "device busy"
> error. Any ideas on how to remove the first disk without botching the Oracle
> install??
>
> I have tried the following:
> 1. unmounting the cdrom device( result was device is busy, can not unmount)
> 2.use the ps command to find the guilty process and kill the process(the
> device is no longer busy, but the install is botched)
> 3.the "oracle" user was the one who started the ./runInstaller and is
> sitting on the cdrom device( I thought I could just change directories to
> free up the device,but the "oracle" user's terminal window states:
> initializing java virtual machine from /tmp/oraInstall/jre/bin/jre. Please
> wait ....... ---- so there isn't a prompt to change to another
> directory
>
> 4. I suppose I could just copy disk1 and disk2 to the hard drive and run it
> from there, but there has to be a way to install Oracle from a cd.
>
> thanks in advance for any suggestions,
>
> Joe

It's highly recommended to read installation documentation and release notes BEFORE doing actuall install.

This problem is definitely described in installation documentation. When starting installer, you should NOT be in the cdrom directory. You need to call installer from different directory. So ./runInstaller was the root of your problem. Correct startup would be something like :

cd $HOME
/mnt/cdrom/runInstaller

Last command would be different depending on the cdrom mount point. Received on Fri Aug 23 2002 - 10:22:24 CDT