Help! ORA-01658 on import, and with plenty of space

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:17:40 +0100

Pedro,

I think your problem is still one of insufficient contiguous space to create an INITIAL or NEXT extent for the problem table. This can be caused by the COMPRESS=Y as mentioned by Sybrand in his reply.

I too suffer from this problem when importing customer dumps and I've traced it doen to the following - all of which could be affecting you :

  1. COMPRESS=Y and not enough free space in one chunk for the INITIAL or NEXT extent to be created.
  2. Customer has, at some point, done an export with compress, dropped all thair tables and re-imported. This is in a misguided attempt to increase performanec by having all the data in one extent. The problem now is that any subsequent exportes, even with COMPRESS=N will create a script in the dump file which has the original INITIAL and NEXT extents as defined by the customers last attempt at defragmenting his tables and indexes.

What I do is run a dummy import where I specify INDEXFILE=crud.sql and this creates a file with lots of create table and create index commands. I then edit this file to remove the STORAGE parameters. I have a C++ program to do this which runs on my HP servers, but I can let you have the source code if you want. It isn't perfect, and there seems to be many ways that Oracle place the STORAGE parameters in the file, but I think I have most of them covered :o)

(I've had 'STORAGE ( INITIAL...', or 'STORAGE (INITIAL...' or 'STORAGE(INITIAL ...' and so on - they seem to be pretty random with where they put spaces and things.)

Once I've created a new script, I drop all the curent tables completely, coalesce the tablespace and run my script to create the objects with default storage. Then I run the import with IGNORE=Y and usually (!) it works, however, there might be a problem if the export dile contains tables or indexes with columns which are Oracle reserved words. These are usually pretty easily fixed.

Email me if you wish to have a copy of the C++ source code.

Regards,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator