Re: Cheap RAID system recommendation?

From: Ron! <fbr_at_m-net.arbornet.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 06:36:22 GMT

> The only thing a 160Mb SCSI bus buys you is the guarantee
> that SCSI packets will travel at that speed between a
> disk and the system mainboard - in the bus. Aggregate I/O
> speed is a lot more than just that bit.

i'm jumping in on this thread, and have not seen the rest, as this was not attached to a thread...

but the 160mb scsi speed is a theoretical anyway... actual bus transfer speeds will vary...

the bus width is what i assume is what has been talked about... and i assume this argument is over theoretical throughput... 160mb scsi is a differential theoretical throughput... no single drive will pull that off... it requires at least 8 drives, 4 per channel, dumping data in parallel to achieve that throughput...

name any disk in existence... your ACTUAL max throughput per drive is 8 -12 mb per sec...

now with that in mind, you see that 160 mb could be achieved with more drives acting in parallel, but the actual copnstriction currently at that point has to do with the bus width on the system boards... drives are a long way off from keeping up with cpu or memory, but remember, even if the drives could, then the cpu and and memory get taxed...

the chicken or the egg... use your own best judgement... based on experience...

Ron! Received on Fri Aug 23 2002 - 01:36:22 CDT