Re: Tablespace point in time recovery with RMAN

From: Eduardo Tavares <ejtavares_at_tmn.pt>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:55:54 +0100

You can't perform a startup on a already open database ... you can only go one way up the stairs .... closed, nomount, mount, open ...

so if you want to startup nomount ... you have ( as the error message says ... ) to shutdown the instance first and then perform the startup nomount.

Hope this helps

Eduardo Tavares

"Surya" <sdpantab_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:LBw89.92296$Yb1.91530_at_sea-read.news.verio.net...
> Oralce documentation says 'The auxillary database must be in nomount state
> and the target instance must be mounted or open state to perform TSPITR'.
> In my case the target instance is running and when I do startup
> pfile=F:\auxillary\initAUX.ora nomount; it gives me the following error:
> ORA-01081: cannot start already-running ORACLE - shut it down first
> Any help would be appreicated to perform this TSPITR with RMAN. I've
Oracle