Re: Adding column is slow

From: Eduardo Tavares <ejtavares_at_tmn.pt>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:04:55 +0100

What i usually do when i havo to manipulate tables with such amount of records is to slice the updates in smaller pieces ... for example you can update 10000 rows and then commit (you can control this with rowid ...) that way you dont need to worry about rollbacks ...

The add column is instantaneous, the problem is the default clause ( wich makes an update ... and commits only at the end ... you'll need a lot of rollbacks )

Hope this helps ...

Eduardo Tavares