Re: RAC configuration without shared storage

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:56:54 +1000

"Patrick London" <mpmers_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b43da98f.0208211706.166b5a75_at_posting.google.com...
> with the VMWare solution did you have 2 virtual machines simulating 2
nodes
> and have a 3rd virtual that stored the datafiles etc? assuming
> that is the case, what mechanism did you use to have both nodes be able
> to access the same datafiles - i.e. did you store the Oracle components
> (datafiles, etc.)
> on raw devices on the 3rd virtual and then have the 2 nodes have the
> same share (say windows) or remote nfs mount (say linux/unix) to the
> location? we are confused how to accomplish the 'sharing' of
> data devices without file/OS locking or permission problems.

I'm afraid I can't say too much at this stage, because I'm in the middle of writing this up, and I want to make sure I don't make mistakes. I also haven't debugged the process completely so that it is plain sailing.

But you resolve file/OS locking issues by not having an O/S filesystem on the shared drive. Which means you create an extended partition, and then create multiple logical volumes, unformatted, on that partition (you need a minimum of 4 logical volumes). The 9i OUI then does all the rest (checkout the clustersetup.exe on the preinstall_rac directory of disk 1 of the install set).

The point being that VMWare *does* allow the sharing of an added SCSI device, but (a) it requires an undocumented tweak to the vmx file and (b) the initial drive must be IDE, otherwise the added drive doesn't seem to want to get shared.

You also can't do it with the sort of SCSI disks that VMWare 3 creates, since they are of variable geometry. You need a fixed geometry disk, otherwise known as "plain SCSI", which VMWare 2 was able to create (and VMWare 3 can read/write).

Oracle now supplies (with 9i release 2) a cluster file system for Windows, which makes working with the shared device a doddle... before that, I was using raw partitions (ie, Logical drives on an extended partition), and that was proving troublesome to manage, since addressing raw partitions isn't something I've done a lot of.

Regards
HJR