Re: Single instance access to an Oracle DB

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 18:21:24 +1000

Hi Mauro,

Either start you database in restricted mode (STARTUP RESTRICTED).

Or alter the system to be in restricted session mode (ALTER SYSTEM ENABLE RESTRICTED SESSION). Then you'll have to blow away any bugger that might be currently connected (ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION 'SID', 'SERIAL') which v$SESSION will list for you.

This way, only those users with the RESTRICTED SESSION privilege (ie. your closest buddies) can connect in.

Once you've finished playing around, an ALTER SYSTEM DISABLE RESTRICTED SESSION will have all those trouble makers hopping back onto the database.

Cheers

Richard