Re: Rule number 1 of an Oracle recovery process

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:35:40 +1000

Hi Nuno,

Ok, my vote for Number One Rule.

Know what you're doing *before* the recovery. By that I mean being trained and having tested the possible recovery scenarios in your environment so often that when a problem arises, you instinctively know what to do. Make as many mistakes as possible before it really matters so such mistakes are never repeated. Determine failings in your backup strategy before you curse and wish you had done things differently. Verify your backup files before you rely on them.

Recovering the database is one of the most crucial aspects of the DBA role. Trying to work out what to do *when* the problem occurs is too late. At best, you're going to waste possible precious availability times. At worst, well at worst, close you're eyes and imagine the end of the world. Cause that's what it could feel like.

There's nothing like seeing the message "Media Recovery Complete" a few minutes after detecting the problem ;)

Cheers

Richard