Re: Cheap RAID system recommendation?

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 00:36:48 +0200

Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote:

>In fact, I still contend that even with enough drives you can't saturate
>a 160 bus with current disk technology. The SCSI bus is a serial bus.
>Ie, you can't have more than one individual SCSI packet travelling at a
>time. Very fast, but one at a time.

That's a really strange argumentation. If a bus can transfer 160 MB/s, who cares if it is doing it serially?

>You'd need some purty synchronized I/O requests to achieve the bus speed
>capacity and streaming with parallel disk ops.

That is what is called "RAID". That is what we are talking about.

> In fact, unless the disks
>had an in built fast cache and controller it would be just about
>impossible to achieve.

Do you know ANY disk that does not have a built-in cache nowadays? Not to mention the RAID's own cache.

Perplex.

Rick Received on Wed Aug 21 2002 - 17:36:48 CDT