Re: Can't expend my DB

From: Tong Li <tongli_at_unagi.cis.upenn.edu>
Date: 21 Aug 2002 21:14:34 GMT

Yes, the DNS entry is the point.
Since I am running Oracle on my home PC, I didn't name it. Is there any way to avoid using DNS entry to make my OEM work?

Thanks again!
Tina

Niall Litchfield (niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com) wrote:

: "Tong Li" <tongli_at_unagi.cis.upenn.edu> wrote in message
: news:ak0qpv$mje$2_at_netnews.upenn.edu...
: >
: > Hello there,
: > I'm using Oracle 9.2 on Windows 2000. I could't access my database from
: OEM
: > with
: > standalone mode. When I tried to expend the database tree as sysdba, I
: > encountered ORA-12545:Connect failed because target host or object does
: not
: > exit.

: This means the DNS entry for the db machine does not exist.

: > But I had no trouble to access my DB from sqlplus command line.

: This means you *do* have a valid tnsnames entry for sqlplus.

: Perhaps you have two Oracle homes and the sqlplus you are running is a
: different version using a different tnsnames.ora from the 9.2 home? What
: does the banner say for sqlplus.

: --
: Niall Litchfield
: Oracle DBA
: Audit Commission UK
: Please include version and platform
: and SQL where applicable
: It makes life easier and increases the
: likelihood of a good answer