Help! ORA-01658 on import, and with plenty of space

From: Pedro Mercado <mercadop_at_expertx.com>
Date: 21 Aug 2002 11:57:11 -0700

I am not a certified DBA so please bear with me. I have built a USERS tablespace using the following syntax:

/*
create tablespace users datafile 'l:\oracle\oradata\dbm\users01.dbf' size 2000M reuse
autoextend off
minimum extent 512k
default storage ( initial 5120k next 5120k minextents 1 maxextents 4096 pctincrease 0);
*/

I then proceeded to alter the tablespace by adding datafiles of 2000M.  I should have plenty of space and the tablespace should be empty. However, when I import from a dump file with about 10 smaller tables (500-1000mb) and 3 larger ones (1-2GB), I get ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent ...

Why am I getting this problem if I have enough space available? I also noticed that only 3 of the datafiles are being used while the others remain unused.

Please help, and thank you in advance. Received on Wed Aug 21 2002 - 13:57:11 CDT