Re: Rule number 1 of an Oracle recovery process

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 21 Aug 2002 10:30:49 -0700

In article <3d63bd58$0$8511$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>, "Niall says...

>"Nuno Souto" <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote in message
>>
>> TAKE AN IMMEDIATE BACKUP OF YOUR CURRENT CONTROLFILES, IF THEY ARE
>> ACCESSIBLE.
>>

>I always thought Rule Number 1 was 'IMMEDIATELY TAKE A COMPLETE NEW BACKUP
>OF YOUR DISASTER', though this can be hard to explain to management types.
>
>"But why would you want to back up the mess we are in now?"
>"Because I don't want it to get any worse than it already is"
>"What sort of DBA are you if you are just going to make things worse?"
>"Umm, well, that is to say er. "
>"You aren't one of those David Bowie type DBAs by any chance?"
>

>:-(
>

>--
>Niall Litchfield
>Oracle DBA
>Audit Commission UK
>Please include version and platform
>and SQL where applicable
>It makes life easier and increases the
>likelihood of a good answer

Sounds like a good rule to me. I still recall an ex-Adabas DBA who'd moved into Oracle DBA life calling me to complain his recovery hadn't worked. On closer investigation, I found he'd restored EVERYTHING from the last backup, including the control files, issued the RECOVER DATABASE command and then wondered why he was missing data! Ah well, sometimes you just have to live and learn I suppose! ;)

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed Aug 21 2002 - 12:30:49 CDT