Re: Oracle architecture - any help would be preferred

From: Rainer <rhe_at_bln.sesa.de>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:05:53 GMT

Martin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a beginner at Oracle administration and I would be grateful for
> any suggestions:
> Target - Oracle9i database designed mainly for Web applications,
> 100-150 connections working concurrently (average value), max 300
> connections. Operating System: SUN Solaris 8 with 4GB Ram.
>
> Dedicated or MTS???;

If your connections care a havy load, use dedicated. If the connections often wait for user input etc. use MTS.

> memory size (shared and buffer cache) - I think, 100MB for shared
> memory size and 70 MB for cache size;

Having 4GB RAM you could increase the buffer cache to several hundred MB.

> block size??;
> 3 control files (one of them on the different disk)
> 3 groups of log files (2 files in the group)
> Should I use undo management provided by Oracle9i??

As a beginner, automatic undo management is a good choice.

> How many space is needed for users' tablespace??

This really depends on your data, no default answer possible.