Re: recovering oracle database missing control, undotbs and redo files

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:48:13 +1000

In article <7e050eec.0208201824.6607b1cf_at_posting.google.com>, you said (and I quote):

> Hello! Unfortunately, I can't seem to mount the database
>
> SQL> startup mount pfile=/srv/ora/theravada/dbs/initgo.ora
> ORACLE instance started.
>
> Total System Global Area 235693104 bytes
> Fixed Size 279600 bytes
> Variable Size 167772160 bytes
> Database Buffers 67108864 bytes
> Redo Buffers 532480 bytes
> ORA-00205: error in identifying controlfile, check alert log for more
> info
>
> i also tried startup force and it gives the same message. I've tried
> to mount it also by creating bogus control03.ctl file, and then it
> gives me errors on missing undotbs01.dbf and redo01.dbf.

Edit your "initgo.ora" file to remove the reference in "controlfiles" parameter to the controlfile in the disk that got slammed. The other controlfiles will be enough to start the system.

One thing: make a copy of the current controlfiles that are available in the system into somewhere else where you can get them back. If you do any recovery manipulation that stuffs up these files, it will be very difficult to recover the system without them in the status they were in before your recovery started. So: save them. NOW!

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto