Re: Cheap RAID system recommendation?

From: Anthony Mandic <am_is_not_at_start.com.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:12:01 +1000

Rick Denoire wrote:

> > You could lease a system rather than buy. You could also trade in
> > the A1000.
>
> Exactly. We are considering leasing instead.

	Yes, its only common sense. In a year or two the leased system
	will be outdated. Return it and get something better.

> > Hmmm ... if you go with 10K RPM ones it would bring the costs
> > down.
>
> No compromise here.

        OK.

> >> - no special features except a battery buffered cache
> >
> > You mention elsewhere that its mainly DSS. DSS isn't write
> > intensive as far as I'm aware.
>
> Well but at some time, data will be loaded into the DB. In our case,
> every night in a bunch.

	OK, you'd need to work out what your batch window is. A little
	extra time may not hurt - but that depends on how much processing
	you do etc.

> > Scattered I/O? With DSS?
>
> Whenever we can avoid full table scan, we do it. That is where
> scattered I/O comes to play.

        OK.

> > Yes, FC-AL is fast.
>
> Ultra160 is SCSI too, isn't it?

        Yes.

-am © 2002 Received on Tue Aug 20 2002 - 17:12:01 CDT