Re: RAC configuration without shared storage

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:07:41 +0100

Patrick London wrote:

> I have seen various posts about configuring and running RAC under
> various operating systems, such as Windows 2000 or Linux, without
> having a shared storage array (and the corresponding controllers,
> hardware, firm ware, etc.). It appears that you can test RAC on
> single machine (in a simple test environment), but it also appears
> that you can still evaluate RAC in a multi-node environment by
> using a something like NFS and having each node mount the same remote
> file system.
>
> Is running a multi-node RAC environment using NFS possible?
>
> Are there other similar solutions for multi-node RAC environments (for
> testing purposes) like NFS?
>
> I see that the OakTable group had a demo at Oracle Open World where
> they had people walk up with their laptops to join the RAC cluster -
> how and where were they managing the data files, etc.? I could not
> find information on their configuration for that demo.
>
> Any information would be much appreciated.
>
> Patrick

That was a "special" NFS config. Laptops booted from a cd-rom into a basic linux OS and then got all the rest (oracle software, writable components of the OS etc) via NFS mounts to a network appliance (shared) disk box.

The network appliance implementation of NFS apparently has some enhancements to allow this to work without violating the RAC rules. For just playing around, you could probably get away with normal NFS

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald