Re: Veritas's implementation/interpretation of RAID 0+1 and RAID 10

From: Darren Dunham <ddunham_at_redwood.taos.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:19:40 GMT

In comp.unix.solaris NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net> wrote:

> But here's what veritas says:

> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/231471.htm

> (the naming seems completely reversed! Am I stupid, or is Veritas?)
> Mirror-stripe they call RAID 10, but desc seems to be for RAID 0+1
> Stripe-mirror they call RAID 0+1, but desc seems to be for RAID 10

Some veritas documentation in the past had the values backward.

mirror-stripe is the classic (easy) mirror of stripes.. stripe-mirror is the layered stripe of mirrors. It looks like that page is fine except for the 1+0 and 0+1 headings. I don't like them anyway because they're too easy to get backwards.

> The way it's supposed to be:

> RAID 0+1
> http://www.acnc.com/04_01_0p1.html

from that page: RAID 0+1 has the same fault tolerance as RAID level 5

Really?

Why would the applications between 1+0 and 0+1 be different?

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham_at_taos.com
Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company