Re: Experience

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:33:37 GMT

Jason wrote:

> Hello, I am a new Oracle certified DBA with no experience. I was
> wondering if somebody can shed some light on how much experience do
> most companies require. Also, very importantly, how can I get these
> experiences.
>
> Thank you.

To work on one of my teams I would demand a minimum of two, and preferably five, years of experience as a developer. My attitude is that if you can not write something you can not tune it.

Just last week I interviewed someone with three years DBA experience that couldn't identify and explain the differences between two code examples; one with and one without bind variables.

Needless to say it was a very short interview.

My advice would be to become a developer first ... this doesn't mean you can't get a DBA job. But who wants to be a mediocre DBA?

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Aug 20 2002 - 10:33:37 CDT