Re: Sequence - Cache expire ?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 20 Aug 2002 06:48:12 -0700

In article <Syh89.49$JR1.38864_at_newsfeed.slurp.net>, Ender says...

>Hi,
> Does anyone know when Oracle expires/discards the cache for sequence except
>oracle shutdown/start ? System is Oracle 8i/Solaris. Thanks

shared pool aging will get them out of there.

But I'm always suspicious about this sort of question. There are three facts we can all rely on:

  1. death
  2. taxes
  3. sequences will have gaps

b is avoidable but you might goto jail. The other two are inescapable in all circumstances.

So, it really doesn't matter when we discard the cached sequence since there will be gaps in them no matter what you do. It only takes a SINGLE rollback, even if you disable caching of the sequence (which is a huge performance limiter!)

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte@oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/