Re: Same Database names on two different machines: Net Service Help???

From: Sanjiv Singh <ssingh1961_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Aug 2002 04:20:39 -0700

"Anurag Varma" <avdbi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<um3aeopc6lamc3_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> "Sanjiv Singh" <ssingh1961_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:36ee465c.0208191048.2649c12c_at_posting.google.com...
> > Problem:
> >
> > How to access the same name database on another machine[A] from
> > machine[B] via NetService configuration? Oracle version 8.0.5.0 on
> > HP-Ux 10.2 (Yes, really old software configuration!)
> >
> > Background:
> >
> > I am trying to set up RMAN controlled backup/recovery strategy wherein
> > I want to house the RECOVERY CATALOG on machine [B] in the database
> > named "mydb". On the primary machine[A] the database is also named
> > "mydb".
> >
> > Therefore, on host-machine[A] the tnsnames.ora file has an entry
> > "mydb" pointing to the local Oracle instance.
> >
> > How do I refer to "mydb" on host-machine[B]?
> >
> > I tried running netmanager /oracle/bin/net8asst ... but it bombs! I
> It bombs? Do you think you could tell us what exactly happens?
>
> > thought you could create 'net service names' in the domain name naming
> > scheme.
> Did you try editing the tnsnames.ora file and putting the tnsname alias as
> something different than mydb .. for the remote db?
>
> Anurag
>

> > Any help will be most appreciated ... thanks

Thanks for your response.
(1) On the Oracle 8.0.5.0 version on HP-Ux the java version problem occurs.

(2) I have not tried naming "mydb" something else on the primary machine .. so on the primary machine i named "mydb_backup" in the tnsnames alias and on the backup host machine there is actually a "mydb" instance running and listening on 1521. Will give it a try at work today. bye. Received on Tue Aug 20 2002 - 06:20:39 CDT