Re: Backup of database using rawdevices

From: Ronald <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: 20 Aug 2002 02:12:44 -0700

Tore Skogly <tore.skogly_at_sensewave.com> wrote in message news:<n8krja.sa5.ln_at_ypsilon>...
> I am trying to configure a backupscript for my Oracle 8.0.4 database running
> on HP-UX.
> The scripts I will be using are those in the book "Oracle8 Backup & Recovery
> Handbook" by Oracle Press.
> My questions are:
> Can I backup my database (which is using rawdevices) to an ordinary
> filesystem (i.e. one not using raw devices)?
> Will the use of raw devices affect a backup to tape?
> My intention is to perform a backup to a shared network drive.
> Will that be possible?

Yes, you can copy the contents of a raw device to a filesystem file. Doing so you can convert to and from raw devices. On some unixes (aix) you need to skip the first blocks of the raw device. You could test the orabackup script that's on my site ...

Ronald.

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba Received on Tue Aug 20 2002 - 04:12:44 CDT