Delete whole table in one go versus batches

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:35:44 +0100

Ender,

Richard's advice is, as ever, excellent. However, in his haste to return the the CD player to listen top yet another David Bowie CD, he neglected to add one final stage to the procedures. I attach it here for completeness :

if your DBA refuses to truncate table for you, simply say "ah well, I better go 'DELETE FROM ,table>' but if I'm not sure, I might do a rollback when It finishes" - and that will take almost as long. :o) How to wind up a DBA in one easy lesson.

Enjoy :o)

Regards,
Norman.

PS. Morning/evening/middle of the night Richard.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk