Same Database names on two different machines: Net Service Help???

From: Sanjiv Singh <ssingh1961_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Aug 2002 11:48:26 -0700

Problem:

How to access the same name database on another machine[A] from machine[B] via NetService configuration? Oracle version 8.0.5.0 on HP-Ux 10.2 (Yes, really old software configuration!)

Background:

I am trying to set up RMAN controlled backup/recovery strategy wherein I want to house the RECOVERY CATALOG on machine [B] in the database named "mydb". On the primary machine[A] the database is also named
"mydb".

Therefore, on host-machine[A] the tnsnames.ora file has an entry
"mydb" pointing to the local Oracle instance.

How do I refer to "mydb" on host-machine[B]?

I tried running netmanager /oracle/bin/net8asst ... but it bombs! I thought you could create 'net service names' in the domain name naming scheme.

Any help will be most appreciated ... thanks Received on Mon Aug 19 2002 - 13:48:26 CDT