ora-27100

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:13:42 GMT

Subject: ora-27100

Platform: Oracle 8.1.7.3.0 on NT 4, sp6

I've searched the Google archives of this newsgroup as well as MetaLink and have not found an explanation that fits my situation. All explanations for an ora-27100 that I have been able to find point to a failed shutdown, almost always on a unix box.

Here's what I'm seeing . . .

Shutdown immediate, works fine.
Warm reboot of the NT server
Startup the database, get an ora-27100
(operator failed to notice that database didn't start)
Several hours later I discover that database is not running, so connect and do a normal startup, which completes with no problem.

So . . . contrary to all of the explanations I've found for an ora-27100 . . .

  1. I'm getting a clean shutdown, as evidenced in the alert log.
  2. Even if process WERE left hanging, the restart of the server (as evidenced in the system event log) would have killed them
  3. When I discover that the DB failed to start, I am able to start it with no corrective action, as if nothing had been wrong.
--
Ed Stevens

(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)