Re: Newbie Question: Trying to Start SQLPlus, Error

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 19 Aug 2002 07:34:32 -0700

In article <SG%79.58826$m91.3247448_at_bin5.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>, "Patrick says...

>How do I connect via SYSDBA? I don't remember setting a password for that
>"account"...
>
>Thanks,
>Patrick
>

>"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote:
>> Yup. Your database is down. Connect as SYSDBA and issue the STARTUP
>command.

See Richard Foote's reply on the OEM thread. SYSDBA is not a user. It's a privilege granted to a user and checked either via the password file or OS authentication. If SYSTEM has been granted SSYDBA, then you should be able to connect using this syntax:

SQL> CONNECT system/your_system_password_here AS SYSDBA

Pete

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Mon Aug 19 2002 - 09:34:32 CDT