Re: OEM: Can't connect to database as sysdba

From: Richard Foote <Richard.Foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:56:08 +1000

Hi Mike,

To obtain the very powerful SYSDBA privilege, Oracle can use two methods of authentication, OS authentication or Oracle Password file authentication.

When using OS authentication, Oracle checks out your OS user details and verifies you are a member of the appropriate OS group (eg. dba in unix, ora_dba in windows). You have the correct OS authentication, you get sysdba.

However, on OEM you don't connect to the database via the server but via a client. Therefore Oracle has no way of authenticating you via the O/S method. Therefore it can only use Password authentication and check your db user to ensure it has been granted sysdba privileges and has been added to the password file. For remote authentication, you have no choice but to use password authentication.

Cheers

Richard